Background

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Thanksgiving

So I've been reading the daily Thanksgiving posts that my friends are putting on Facebook and I enjoy reading them. However, I am not disciplined enough to do that, so I'll just think of them in my head, but I wanted to put this one on my blog, since it's kind of long.

I am so very thankful for my friends and all of the practical help they gave me when I was taking care of my mother after her first brain surgery. I was really struggling to take care of myself, Micah - who had just started crawling, Janie's dog, Photo - who had recently given up his potty training, and Janie - who after the brain tumor was on a powerful steroid.

I'm not sure if you've ever been around someone who's on steroids, but they are not very friendly, very hungry and quite unhelpful around the house. She had me in tears, un-baby proofed my house every 5 minutes and her dog had my house smelling like....dog.

One morning I was about to start screaming and pulling out my hair, so I called my friend Julie. Since Janie was sitting next to me, I had to pretend that Julie had called me. Here is about how our conversation went (at least what I remember):

Julie: Hello
Me: Hello
Julie: Uh, Hello???
Me: Hey Julie, what's up?
Julie: Not much, we're just sitting here playing
Me: Well Yes! Certainly you and Mollie can come over.
Julie: Huh? Are you ok Heather?
Me: NO!!!! Not at all, I'll put some orange danish rolls in the oven.
Julie: Do you need me to come over?
Me: YES!! Absolutely. How long will it take you to get here? Ok see you in a bit
Julie: Are you sure you're ok?
Me: Nope...ok see you shortly.

Anyways, I laugh when I think of this conversation, but I had a terrible need and Julie, as well as a lot of other friends from church filled it. They brought meals, kept Micah, went and cleaned Janie's house for her while I was in Colorado. I am forever Thankful for the hands and feet help they gave me and Janie.

I don't care what people say, being a new Mom is HARD! Please help new Momma's wherever you can. Also, taking care of a parent (or anyone as sick as she was) is HARD! Thank you for the meals, and for keeping Micah. And I hope the things I've done to help my friends is enough. Please, call on me if you need help, because I am also Thankful when I get to help a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment